kyhoods asked this question 5 years, 11 months ago:


Hello, I am an American (here on orders/SOFA agreement) who owns a house in Germany. The bank just sent me a letter asking for my Steuer-Identifikationsnummer. They did this last year also, but I just wrote back that I'm an American and don't have one. Does anyone know if I should have one? If so where would this come from?


5 years, 11 months ago

Should be your social security account's your "tax number" as listed on your income tax returns and W2s, etc..

5 years, 11 months ago

Thanks Hans. I think they are looking for the German version of the Social Security number. I think I'm going to ignore the letter since I don't pay German income taxes and therefore don't need a German tax number.

Would you like to contribute? Add your reply to this topic