Notices

Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
Old June 17th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Samual
Knows The KMC Well

Boos: 0
Booed at 0 times in 0 posts
Thumbs down Air Force Inns - TLF - My Experience

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I was unable to stay in a TDYhomes TLF. Oh, how I wish I could have... The following is a commentary of the Ramstein Inns TLF, as well as my short experience living on base.

Instead of staying in one of Hans' homes, my family got the privilege to stay at Air Force Inns, which has a very limited number of pet friendly rooms. Hans had the space, but we could not get a Non-Availability letter and would have had to come out of pocket and not gotten reimbursed. So, instead, we stayed in a pet friendly room at Air Force Inns.

The building we stayed in used to be a stairwell housing unit (Bldg 844). This means there is someone across the hall from us, as well as people above us since we are on the first level. I suppose this is not really any different from staying in any other hotel aside from the fact that people who can afford to stay in a hotel are usually a lot more classy than the people staying here. That and at a decent hotel there is some kind of sound barrier between rooms.

Let me start with the amenities. The Internet connection is made by a cable. The Internet was not working when we checked in. We were told that the Internet is provided by TKS, and that they are working on the problem. Once the Internet started working the following day, I was truly amazed to learn that the service is only 1mb service. In other words, if you plan to do anything other than send/receive email, you can forget about it because the Internet speed is dreadfully slow. There is also a wireless connection that can be used from the building across the street, and every now and then the speed builds up to around 2mb. Again, dismally slow. If Internet is of any importance to you, either find somewhere else to stay, or find a connection somewhere else. Also, at the reception desk, there is a note at each computer telling the people working the front desk what to say to people when they call to complain about the Internet not working. The front desk personnel are instructed to tell guests that the Internet is with TKS, and they will be working on the problem. The note also goes on to say that the reception people are not to give the appearance that they are "blowing off" the guest. It seems to me that having the monopoly on base has made TKS very complacent in regard to having any kind of decent service.

Being as I lived off base for the past two and a half years, I really did not have any experience with base living. All I can say about this is THANK GOD! The pet friendly Air Force Inns TLF is situated within the base housing, so we drive through the other stairwell housing units to get to our TLF. Now that I have lived on base for over a month, I cannot understand why so many people want to be on base. The people in stairwell homes are (generalizing here) major pigs. I see garbage dumped outside of the doorways, people don't clean up after their pets, cigarette butts all over the place, food wrappers, and it appears that there are abandoned cars (no license plate). There is very little, if any respect for other people living in the stairwell housing. People are very loud in the stairwell, they blast their TV and music without regard to their neighbors, and are just overall sloppy people. There is no sound proofing, so when the Cro-magnon people above us walked across their floor, we could hear every stomp they make. I am pretty sure I could hear their knuckles dragging as they walk, as well. Any time someone flushes a toilet, even in another room above us, we hear it in our room. Why would anyone want to live like this? The convenience of having 110v electrical outlets and being close to the 'fat people on parade' food court is definitely not worth living on base.

I never saw this kind of thing while living off base. I just don't see the allure that people have with being here. There is even a guy who sets up each weekend outside of his building with his cooler, lawn chair and a trailer. It appears that he is trying to sell mini-bikes. It really looks like a scene from a redneck movie. All that is needed to complete the scene is a car up on blocks on the lawn.

As far as the TLF itself is concerned, since it is nothing more than what used to be stairwell housing, it is quite old. In our room the refrigerator handle is falling off, there are several doors (2 bedroom, 1 hallway, and 1 bathroom) that will not latch closed, lights that don't work, and plenty of nasty odors. Maintenance doesn't seem to care about much of anything, either. They claim that it takes up to two weeks to get to any maintenance job. It was amusing to me that when I called with a maintenance issue, they asked me about other maintenance issues in the room being resolved. These were issues that were brought to the attention of maintenance by previous guests, and the issues were still not taken care of.

People here ignore the rule about not smoking within 50' of the hotel entrance, so we are constantly having stinky cigarette smoke coming into our hotel room unless we close the windows. Closing the windows is not really an option since there is no air conditioning. Aside from polluting our air with their cigarette smoke stench, they just toss their butts onto the sidewalk. Again, these people are pigs.

There are garbage cans next to each building entrance, but it seems like the only time maintenance empties the garbage cans is when someone calls to complain about the cans overflowing. The people who do clean up after their pets (not many), toss their plastic bags containing dog feces into the trash cans. Of course, the trash can was right outside of our window, so we got the fresh aroma of dog sh!t seeping into our hotel room. Even if the trash can were not outside of our window, it would not matter because as I mentioned before, most of the people here don't bother to clean the mess left by their pets. At any given time there is dog crap, drink cans, food wrappers, etc., on the ground adjacent to the building. Again, people here are pigs. Sorry for repeating myself. I just can't get over just how disgusting people living on base can be.

The housekeeping people don't really want to work. They show up to change out the towels and they are supposed to make the beds, empty trash, and mop the floor. They often (every other day) have some excuse as to why they cannot manage to do their job. The housekeepers have told me that they are shorthanded and can only change the towels and take the trash. They don't want to be bothered with the time consuming jobs such as making beds or mopping the floor. They have also come to tell me that they have too many people checking out/in and have to rush to get those rooms done, so they can't do their job in my room.

I am anything but impressed with this TLF. I am saddened by the lack of respect people on base have for their neighbors. This really does remind me of what living in the projects in some urban city would be like.

Why would anyone choose to live on base? It is just mind numbing!

Last edited by Samual; June 17th, 2012 at 01:48 PM.
Samual is offline   Reply With Quote Share on Facebook
The following user says Thank You to Samual for this post:
Sponsored Links - Register for ad-free browsing.

Old June 17th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #2
3C&Zana
A Real KMC Pro

So my wife and I are PCSing to Ramstein in March of next year. We have a 4yr old Rottweiler that we will be taking with us so I was going to make reservations w/Ramstein Inns so I could make sure to get a pet friendly room. After hearing this review, I'm less than excited about it.

If I don't make a reservation and just show up would we have a better chance of not getting a room and getting a non-A letter for TDYhomes? Anyone know or been able to do this? Thanks for any info
3C&Zana is offline   Reply With Quote Share on Facebook
Old June 17th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #3
mcampb9107
A Real KMC Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3C&Zana View Post
So my wife and I are PCSing to Ramstein in March of next year. We have a 4yr old Rottweiler that we will be taking with us so I was going to make reservations w/Ramstein Inns so I could make sure to get a pet friendly room. After hearing this review, I'm less than excited about it.

If I don't make a reservation and just show up would we have a better chance of not getting a room and getting a non-A letter for TDYhomes? Anyone know or been able to do this? Thanks for any info
Make sure you touch base with Hans a few months prior to make sure he is tracking you. It will be hit or miss because the non-a is based off availability of rooms. Having a dog helps because there are not many pet friendly TLF's, calling the hotel a few days prior would be the best plan and tell them that you wanted to see if they had any availability if they tell you yes ask them if you can get a non-a because you have somewhere that you would prefer to stay off base.

If they tell you that they cant give you one then just tell them you will try back a day prior to flying. Again Hans will understand as he knows you have to have this non-a he is a prior Air Force officer and understand what needs to be done.

I booked a family coming into my unit this July with Hans ask the Air Force Inns has nothing available which for some are good but the key is if a sponsors just throws you out to the wolves and puts you with just any German hotel you could very well get screwed some require you to pay the first 15 days and off post you could be looking at 125-175 euro a night.
Old June 17th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #4
chowderisannoying
Knows The KMC Well

I am sooooooooo not looking forward to TLF when we PCS

people are pigs, and loud, and smoke on their porches so it does come right inside.........I did not like staying there
chowderisannoying is offline   Reply With Quote Share on Facebook
Old June 19th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #5
JRPeterson
A Real KMC Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samual View Post

Instead of staying in one of Hans' homes, my family got the privilege to stay at Air Force Inns, which has a very limited number of pet friendly rooms. Hans had the space, but we could not get a Non-Availability letter and would have had to come out of pocket and not gotten reimbursed. So, instead, we stayed in a pet friendly room at Air Force Inns.
Samual, I thought your wife was a DoD Civilian? DoD Civilians do not need a non-Availability letter. The JTR specifically states that an employee may not be directed/required to use GOV't Quarters, or limited to the GOVíT QTRS cost for lodging reimbursement or In virtually all circumstances, told what lodging to use.
JRPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote Share on Facebook
Old June 19th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #6
JOFTAA
Wandering Around The Net

Boos: 3
Booed at 8 times in 8 posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRPeterson View Post
Samual, I thought your wife was a DoD Civilian? DoD Civilians do not need a non-Availability letter. The JTR specifically states that an employee may not be directed/required to use GOV't Quarters, or limited to the GOVíT QTRS cost for lodging reimbursement or In virtually all circumstances, told what lodging to use.
She is a DoD civilian. As with everything else experienced with DoDDS, nobody at my wife's school knows anything about PCSing. We were given bad information. Our PCS to Germany was horrible, and our PCS out was not as bad, but only because we learned from our mistakes coming in.

Also, we did not actually PCS. My wife resigned, so we are no longer with DoD. This changes the game a little bit.

JOFTAA is offline   Reply With Quote Share on Facebook
Old June 19th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #7
JRPeterson
A Real KMC Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOFTAA View Post
Also, we did not actually PCS. My wife resigned, so we are no longer with DoD. This changes the game a little bit.
Shouldn't if they gave you travel benefits back to the States - still falls under the JTR. Bad info I can understand all too well. Reason I know the JTR well. I've been on a few TDYs where they tried to force me to use Gov't Qtrs, at least until I show them the error in their ways!
JRPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote Share on Facebook
Old June 19th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #8
JOFTAA
Wandering Around The Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRPeterson View Post
Shouldn't if they gave you travel benefits back to the States - still falls under the JTR. Bad info I can understand all too well. Reason I know the JTR well. I've been on a few TDYs where they tried to force me to use Gov't Qtrs, at least until I show them the error in their ways!
It was the bad info from the very start that is a part of the reason for my wife's resignation. The incompetence level is so high, and the lack of responsibility is beyond reproach. It's as if nobody knows what they are doing, nor do they care. As much as we loved Germany, dealing with incompetence on a daily basis is not something we are used to. This was our first experience with DoD, and I guess we are just too old (late 40's) and set in our ways to deal with such nonsense.

It is a shame that DoDDS is so lacking in people of quality.

Old June 22nd, 2012, 10:38 PM   #9
tdyhomes
Knows The KMC Well

Samual,

Thank you brother for those kind words, I would have worked with you on what ever was within your allowance.

On a side note for everyone else sorry I have not been able to keep in contact with everyone who has been staying with me in my TLAs. I have been very busy over the past several months but I have a property manager would will be filling in and handling the day to day on a lot of issues.

I have also activated a facebook fan page so if everyone would please like it and if you have any questions please feel free to post on this great website and also any other suggestions or questions on the fan page. www.facebook.com/tdyhomes
tdyhomes is offline   Reply With Quote Share on Facebook
Old June 22nd, 2012, 10:59 PM   #10
Samual
Knows The KMC Well

I know you would have worked with me. That is what makes you so easy to deal with, as well as a great person to know. But, there was no way, in good conscience, that I could ask you to put me in your home for the pittance we were being reimbursed.

In the end, we survived. But, frankly, if I had to do it again, I might just take advantage of a friend.
Samual is offline   Reply With Quote Share on Facebook
Old September 25th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #11
kmc second timer
Been Around The KMC a While

Default A good TLF experience

We stayed at the Ramstein TLF from July 17- August 13th of this year and had a good experience there. Although it was definitely "no-frills", the room was clean and the housekeeping staff very accomodating, especially Claudia. The bus stop was close by and the commissary was within walking distance. I appreciated having a full kitchen and free washer and dryer in the apartment. We always made our bed, washed our own dishes, and cleaned up after ourselves just like we would at home. Housekeeping changed the bedding, mopped and vacuumed once a week and we always had plenty of clean towels. I thought it was reasonable given that the TLF is not a hotel.

Also, there were no pets in this building, and I noticed the smokers lit up at the picnic tables away from the doors so it didn't create any problems.

Just wanted to add my two cents worth here so that newcomers wouldn't assume that staying at the TLF is always a bad experience.
kmc second timer is offline   Reply With Quote Share on Facebook
Old September 25th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #12
JOFTAA
Wandering Around The Net

Quote:
Just wanted to add my two cents worth here so that newcomers wouldn't assume that staying at the TLF is always a bad experience.
I'm glad you did. Just like anything else, there are going to be good and bad experiences.

Old September 26th, 2012, 12:17 AM   #13
DWinchell
Been Around The KMC a While

Thanks KMC_second_timer for the updated info.

Anyone know if a TESA contractor can stay in TLF?
DWinchell is offline   Reply With Quote Share on Facebook
Old March 13th, 2013, 08:57 AM   #14
3C&Zana
A Real KMC Pro

Default Not horrible but not great...

We just arrived this Sunday to Ramstein TLF with my wife and dog. When I arrived at the counter I found out they cancelled our reservation because we came in a couple days later than planned. However, a month prior I double checked with the reservations folks that I didn't have an exact date of arrival and if they could hold a room for us and they said they would. Unfortunately, all they had left was a four bedroom apt available for us which isn't all that bad except for a couple issues. When we got a ride to the room by our sponsor, we found out our room key didn't work (third floor). We called the front desk to see if an orange and green light meant anything and they said they would bring a new key out to us. About 30 minutes later and a pretty cold day outside, my wife decided to try the key and it worked! However, after this one time of the door opening with the key, it hasn't worked since. We called the front desk trying to get the door fixed and someone finally came out Monday morning around 10 AM. That guy changed the battery and since it still didn't work he said we would have to call a locksmith. By 1700 same day no one showed and when we called the front desk they said they couldn't get in touch with the locksmith but that they would definitely have someone here Tuesday morning... Well, we got a bunch of snow yesterday and now we are still having to take turns going outside since we can't both be gone from the apt at same time... Still working lock issue at time of this writing...

Other than the lock the place isn't bad. Aside from some lights and shotty maintenance, the place has all the amentities to include full size washer and dryer. There is also a large fenced in dog park around the corner. We're on the third floor so we get everyone else's heat and barely hear the neighbors. Hopefully we can get the lock fixed and things will be better the rest of our stay. More to follow
3C&Zana is offline   Reply With Quote Share on Facebook
Old March 13th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #15
tdyhomes
Knows The KMC Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3C&Zana View Post
We just arrived this Sunday to Ramstein TLF with my wife and dog. When I arrived at the counter I found out they cancelled our reservation because we came in a couple days later than planned. However, a month prior I double checked with the reservations folks that I didn't have an exact date of arrival and if they could hold a room for us and they said they would. Unfortunately, all they had left was a four bedroom apt available for us which isn't all that bad except for a couple issues. When we got a ride to the room by our sponsor, we found out our room key didn't work (third floor). We called the front desk to see if an orange and green light meant anything and they said they would bring a new key out to us. About 30 minutes later and a pretty cold day outside, my wife decided to try the key and it worked! However, after this one time of the door opening with the key, it hasn't worked since. We called the front desk trying to get the door fixed and someone finally came out Monday morning around 10 AM. That guy changed the battery and since it still didn't work he said we would have to call a locksmith. By 1700 same day no one showed and when we called the front desk they said they couldn't get in touch with the locksmith but that they would definitely have someone here Tuesday morning... Well, we got a bunch of snow yesterday and now we are still having to take turns going outside since we can't both be gone from the apt at same time... Still working lock issue at time of this writing...

Other than the lock the place isn't bad. Aside from some lights and shotty maintenance, the place has all the amentities to include full size washer and dryer. There is also a large fenced in dog park around the corner. We're on the third floor so we get everyone else's heat and barely hear the neighbors. Hopefully we can get the lock fixed and things will be better the rest of our stay. More to follow
If you don't mind we have a few places open if you contact me I can shoot you some pictures of our locations that are open and even have our crew move you over. I sent you a pm asking you a few questions just send me a reply back.
Stateside Cell (706) 834-8274
German Cell 0151 23476274
tdyhomes is offline   Reply With Quote Share on Facebook
Old March 18th, 2013, 11:21 PM   #16
caverject
A Real KMC Pro

Boos: 1
Booed at 1 time in 1 post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samual View Post

Why would anyone choose to live on base? It is just mind numbing!
Samual - Don't let one experience from TLF bias you to on-base living. There are many pro's to it. (as well as cons) I lived on post for 4 years at my last duty station. I live off post here. I don't really have a preference, but I know my internet is a lot faster off post here in Ramstein!

Good luck
caverject is offline   Reply With Quote Share on Facebook
Old March 18th, 2013, 11:32 PM   #17
JOFTAA
Wandering Around The Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverject View Post
Samual - Don't let one experience from TLF bias you to on-base living. There are many pro's to it. (as well as cons) I lived on post for 4 years at my last duty station. I live off post here. I don't really have a preference, but I know my internet is a lot faster off post here in Ramstein!

Good luck
It isn't just the TLF experience. I read so many complaints about being on base. And, it seems like a giant HOA, to me. Being told when to take care of the yard, how to take care of the yard, etc. Having to deal with messy neighbors who don't know how to clean up after themselves or their pets.

Living off base gives much more independence. I can go home without having to wait in line at a gate. I don't have to worry about someone deciding to have an exercise and being stuck either on or off base for any period of time.

I am sure there are many people who enjoy living on base, and that is certainly their prerogative. I don't really care what other people do for their living arrangements. I just don't want on base life for myself.

Old March 18th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #18
caverject
A Real KMC Pro

Boos: 1
Booed at 1 time in 1 post

I kind of meant globally...some places have really nice on base housing. Fort Carson is one of them...I wouldn't want to live on Ramstein...I could deal with Landstuhl or Volgelweh if I had a single family house. I've never seen common living state side before until I got here...I had a 5 bed room family house when I was in the states...loved it!
caverject is offline   Reply With Quote Share on Facebook
Old March 18th, 2013, 11:49 PM   #19
JOFTAA
Wandering Around The Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverject View Post
I kind of meant globally...some places have really nice on base housing. Fort Carson is one of them...I wouldn't want to live on Ramstein...I could deal with Landstuhl or Volgelweh if I had a single family house. I've never seen common living state side before until I got here...I had a 5 bed room family house when I was in the states...loved it!
That sounds nice.