Go Back   EverythingKMC > On Your Way? Just Got Here? > What You Should Know Before and Upon Arrival to The KMC

Notices

Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2011, 06:30 PM   #1
Shannalee
Knows The KMC Well

Boos: 0
Booed at 1 time in 1 post
Question US issued credit cards

Hello all. I know there are issues plaguing U.S. travelers associated with chip/pin in European credit cards. Has anyone experienced problems using their US issued cards? and did you notify the company that you were moving overseas (other than thru the change of address) to make sure your use wasn't blocked? Thanks!
Shannalee is offline   Reply With Quote Share on Facebook
Sponsored Links - Register for ad-free browsing.

Old June 27th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #2
SNB92
A Real KMC Pro

Booed at 0 times in 0 posts

I have used my Visa several times. There are still stores that do not accept credit cards, but more and more stores are. I notified our bank that we were moving to Germany and I also notify them when we travel to different countries. They do charge a foreign transaction fee in addition to the price of the item I charge. I know Service Credit Union offers a card and I can't remember the name of it of the top of my head (Gilocard or something like that) that they say more businesses in Europe accept it. They tried to get us to get one but they charge a fee for the card and interest.
SNB92 is offline   Reply With Quote Share on Facebook
The following user says Thank You to SNB92 for this post:
Old June 28th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #3
Nueces
Been Around The KMC a While

It is a hit or miss on using a cc without the chip here. US cc appear to be accepted more around the bases and in areas with a lot of tourist.

Off base I use the Capital One credit card, because they do not charge the International transaction fee. There is a topic on the board here if you search for it. I also started a Capitol One checking which I have an allotment go to get Euros off base at a better exchange rate.
Nueces is offline   Reply With Quote Share on Facebook
The following user says Thank You to Nueces for this post:
Old July 2nd, 2011, 09:20 AM   #4
JOFTAA
Wandering Around The Net

Boos: 3
Booed at 8 times in 8 posts

I just got home late last night after a 9 day cruise throughout the Baltics. The only place I had any trouble using my credit card without a PIN was in Copenhagen, Denmark. Even in Copenhagen, not all places required a PIN, but for the places that do, the card was not usable.

I don't know that you have to have a chip on the card. I am not 100% sure, but I think you can still swipe the card and enter a PIN.

Ask your credit card issuer about this one.

As for Germany and the rest of the places I have been, I have never been asked for a PIN.

Great question, Shannalee

"Dames are put on this earth to weaken us, drain our energy, laugh at us when they see us naked." -Danny Vermin, Johnny Dangerously, 1984
JOFTAA is online now   Reply With Quote Share on Facebook
Old July 8th, 2011, 09:56 AM   #5
twinmama
A Real KMC Pro

No issues here. We were in England when they switched to chip and pin so it was a bit confusing at first until we got the hang of it.

I just hand my debit card to the cashier. If they say it has to be chip and pin, I tell them to swipe it- which is how it's done.

I let my bank and credit card companies know when I move and I also notify them when I'm going to be using the debit/credit card in a country other than the one I'm living in.

Make sure you have a signature on the back. They always check to make sure the signatures match. I also learned the hard way that they will only let you use a card with your name on it (in the states I sometimes would use my husband's)
twinmama is offline   Reply With Quote Share on Facebook
The following user says Thank You to twinmama for this post: