Go Back   EverythingKMC > On Your Way? Just Got Here? > KMC Housing Discussion / Financial Question and Answer by Mitchell Consulting

Notices

Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:20 AM   #1
Susie Sunshine
Been Around The KMC a While

Boos: 0
Booed at 0 times in 0 posts
Cool VPN router/Kabel Deutschland

Hello all,

I live off base and I have Kabel Deustchland as my internet provider--- that being said I have a cable modem. I recently purchased a modem from StrongVPN.com and I have netflix running through my playstation 3--- everything was fine for a while and now it seems netflix has to buffer like every 2 minutes! Anyone have any tricks or know anything about internet speed???

Thanks!
Susie Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote Share on Facebook
Sponsored Links - Register for ad-free browsing.

Old June 17th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #2
JOFTAA
Wandering Around The Net

Boos: 3
Booed at 8 times in 8 posts

I am a bit confused. You say you have a router from K.D. and a modem from StrongVPN. Are you trying to use both modems at once? Isn't StrongVPN just a VPN service so you can access U.S. sites from outside of The U.S.?

Whenever you use services like that, it may slow things down. You might want to contact StrongVPN and ask them if there are any ports you can forward in your router to speed things up.

It is the nature of the beast, when using a proxy or VPN, that things are going to move slower. I have never had luck with Netflix. Even in The U.S., without having to use any proxy or VPN, Netflix was slower than the rest.

Last edited by JOFTAA; June 17th, 2011 at 11:39 AM.
JOFTAA is offline   Reply With Quote Share on Facebook
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #3
Susie Sunshine

Yes I am using both routers... my strongvpn router connects into my kd router. I know confusing... but it really does work. I will probably have to call them (strong vpn) to see what I can do to speed it up.

Netflix was slow in the states as well? How about Hulu? Anyone have any luck with Hulu?
Old June 17th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #4
Native
Banned for behaving like a drunken sailor.

Boos: 16
Booed at 3 times in 3 posts

Kabel Deutschland is the biggest crap you can get.

Kabel Deutschland reduces connection speed for services like downloading, sharing, etc.
Also, when there are "too many" users in your area, KD also reduces the speed.

It might help to use a different port for strongVPN, but a better help would be to get another provider...
Native is offline   Reply With Quote Share on Facebook
Old June 17th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #5
Susie Sunshine

Before I use to have TKS and only could get the slowest version of DSL possible-- my solution to that was getting KD. What other internet service providers are there as I have no interest in going back to TKS? I would only be interested in getting the fastest available of course. Seeing as I have to give KD a 3 month notice... I would like the new provider not to cost a million dollars as well...

Thanks!
Old June 17th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #6
JOFTAA
Wandering Around The Net

I know of no reason why you should have to use two routers. I have been networking for over 25 years, and for a home based network, one router is enough.

Just configure one router to do the job and see if things speed up.

Old June 17th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #7
Susie Sunshine

The VPN router allows everything in my house to be run under the VPN thus allowing me to get netflix on my PS3--- otherwise I cannot connect my PS3 to Netflix. However I have to still utilize my kabel deutschland router to have internet service. The VPN router hooks into the KD router and voila I am on a stateside IP address...

Is there anything here that you can recommend I do differently?
Old June 17th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #8
JOFTAA
Wandering Around The Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Sunshine View Post
....... Is there anything here that you can recommend I do differently?
Possibly. What kind of router do you have? Brand and model? And, if there is a version number, what is that?

You should be able to setup a VPN without a second router. I have done it many times, and it really speeds things up quite a bit.

But, if for some reason you MUST use a particular router for your VPN service, is there a reason you could not use that router alone?

What about port forwarding? Do you have the proper ports forwarded to your PS3? Your PS3 has its own IP address, so forwarding the proper port to it would help. To do this, I recommend a static IP for the PS3, which keeps it from using DHCP and getting a different IP each time you boot the PS3.

Since I am not familiar with your hardware, nor am I familiar with the hardware requirement of your VPN service, it is kind of difficult to come up with a sure fire solution.

Tire Rack - Make Winter Fun Again