Notices

Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
Old October 20th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #1
JOFTAA
Wandering Around The Net

Boos: 3
Booed at 8 times in 8 posts
Default Presswells Fish and Chips

(R.I.P. Presswell's. Apparently the restaurant is gone and turning into a Mexican restaurant)

I've been here for nine months now, and finally got around to trying out Presswells. I have passed their sign by Ramstein AFB so many times now that I have it memorized.

I would have never thought about going there myself, but my neighbor suggested we go.

I got the Haddock fish and chips. My friend got the Chicken Korma, which is an Indian dish. After my experience at Bombay House, I am still afraid to try Indian food again.

In the U.S., when ordering fish and chips, it is usually Cod. I guess Cod is not something easy to get here in Germany. Whatever the circumstance, I got Haddock. I was expecting a few pieces of fish, battered and fried with some chips (fries). Instead, I got a huge piece of fish. It went from one edge of my plate to the next. And, it was not heavily battered as some fried fish can be. You know, what I mean. Some restaurants put a ton of batter on their fish to make it look bigger. The piece of fish at Presswells actually was large, and it was mainly fish with a reasonable amount of batter instead of biting into a huge amount of usually gooey batter. The fish was very tasty, and it was nice and flaky. I enjoyed the piece of fish, and it did fill me up pretty well. The malt vinegar was just the right strength to compliment the fish without having an over powering taste of vinegar. There was also a spicy version of the vinegar. I tried that as well, and found it to be very good as well. It takes a lot for me to say something is too spicy, but there is no worry with Presswell's spicy vinegar. It just tastes good and is not over bearing. The 'chips' a/k/a fries, were also very good. They were the thick kind, not the thin kind like what is available at McDeath. The portion of fries was just as generous as the fish. And, what really made me happy is that the fries were served hot. Fries are so often served luke warm and soggy. I hate when that happens.

I almost forgot to mention their specials. This information is taken straight from their menu, and is subject to change.

Monday - 10% military discount
Tuesday - Dollar Day. $ = €
Wednesday - 10% off all pasties
Thursday - Free beer with every curry
Friday - €5 Friday - Fish and chips for 5 Euro

Note: Specials are subject to change, so if you are going based on a daily special, call first to be sure the offer is still available.

The day I went, my fish and chips was €10. I think that is a bit expensive for what I got, but it was tasty. I would not pay this on a regular basis, but Friday seems to be a much better deal that I would not have a problem doing more often.

My friend, as I said before, had the Chicken Korma. I did not try it, but since her plate was completely clean, I can tell that she enjoyed it. She kept on offering, but my brain kept telling me to wait until Bombay House is out of my system.

The bottom line: Presswells Quality Fish and Chips is just as the name implies. A nice, large piece of fish along with hot, crispy chips. And condiments to compliment the meal. I will definitely be going back. If you have not tried Presswells yet, give them a try.

Kindsbacher Strasse 36
66877 Ramstein-Miesenbach
06371-40 65 75

Hours:
Mon-Fri: 0730 - 2100
Saturday: 0900- 2100
Sunday: 0900 - 1430 (Breakfast menu only)

21MAY2012 Update: The restaurant has been sold to new owners. The prices are lower than before, and there seems to be more specials.

"Dames are put on this earth to weaken us, drain our energy, laugh at us when they see us naked." -Danny Vermin, Johnny Dangerously, 1984

Last edited by JOFTAA; July 14th, 2012 at 03:11 PM.
JOFTAA is offline   Reply With Quote Share on Facebook
Sponsored Links - Register for ad-free browsing.

Old March 26th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #2
twinmama
A Real KMC Pro

Boos: 0
Booed at 0 times in 0 posts

I LOVE Presswells! I lived in England for 4 years before here and tried many chippies there boasting "England's Best Fish and Chips". But I gotta say- I think Presswell's if my 2nd fave chippy behind Gravely's in Harrogate

Haddock is the type that is commonly used in fish and chips in England- so I'm assuming that's why Presswell's uses it.
twinmama is offline   Reply With Quote Share on Facebook
The following user says Thank You to twinmama for this post:
Old April 2nd, 2011, 08:24 PM   #3
DakotaCowgirl
A Real KMC Pro

We tried this place on Friday. We were not that thrilled by it.

Our fish and chips had massive grease on it. It was bad. Plus, it was old grease and you could taste it.

I got the crab cake and it wasn't good at all.

We are going to try it again; but, were not impressed by the first impression.

BTW, they are now closed on Sundays.
DakotaCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Share on Facebook
Old April 2nd, 2011, 08:38 PM   #4
JOFTAA
Wandering Around The Net

Too bad it was not to your liking. Maybe try something different next time? I guess breakfast on Sunday did not work out for them.

Thanks for the info about your experience.

"Dames are put on this earth to weaken us, drain our energy, laugh at us when they see us naked." -Danny Vermin, Johnny Dangerously, 1984
Old April 2nd, 2011, 08:57 PM   #5
DakotaCowgirl
A Real KMC Pro

I think it would have been better if the oil was fresh. The chips were good though. Nice and think. We liked that one.

The salads looked good too though. That was nice.
DakotaCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Share on Facebook
Old April 2nd, 2011, 09:11 PM   #6
JOFTAA
Wandering Around The Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
I think it would have been better if the oil was fresh. The chips were good though. Nice and think. We liked that one.

The salads looked good too though. That was nice.
I always think that older oil tastes better. Fresh oil has no real flavor to it. I'm not talking about using old dirty oil, but used oil that has been filtered. I am not sure if restaurants here do that. In the U.S., restaurants don't toss their oil after just one use. It can be filtered to remove chunks of food and reused. Food tastes better with this oil. Just my opinion. Your mileage may differ.

Old April 3rd, 2011, 11:36 AM   #7
Lindsey
A Real KMC Pro

used oil is definatly better lol....ever gotten really pale fries, yet they were cooked all the way? yeah that was with fresh oil.

I used to work at Lonestar Steakhouse in the states, back in my younger days....and I hated when they changed the oil, until they started frying a lot lol....it's way better after having been used a bit
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote Share on Facebook
Old April 3rd, 2011, 11:56 AM   #8
JOFTAA
Wandering Around The Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
used oil is definatly better lol....ever gotten really pale fries, yet they were cooked all the way? yeah that was with fresh oil.

I used to work at Lonestar Steakhouse in the states, back in my younger days....and I hated when they changed the oil, until they started frying a lot lol....it's way better after having been used a bit
Not to mention, there is nothing like fresh hot oil to clog our arteries with!

Old October 2nd, 2011, 04:27 PM   #9
TarHeel
A Real KMC Pro

My wife and I went to Presswells last week. The fish was very good, as stated above, and with a nice portion. I was disappointed in the chips; they had a good flavor to them (and a nice portion) but they were not crispy. We will give the place another try, as I do want to try their Indian food.
TarHeel is offline   Reply With Quote Share on Facebook
Old October 2nd, 2011, 04:37 PM   #10
JOFTAA
Wandering Around The Net

I just got home from England, this morning. I can tell you, for sure, that the fish and chips in England beats the stuff here, hands down. I went to the Rose & Crown Pub and the food was really good. I linked to the one I ate at. As a matter of fact, we ate at the table by the front window.

Since I have been to the Rose & Crown at Epcot Center in Orlando, I wanted to see if it was authentic. I can assure you that EPCOT is not even close to being authentic.

Presswell's is good, but now that I have had the real thing, it is hard to eat anything else without comparing.

Last edited by JOFTAA; September 24th, 2012 at 09:33 PM.