PDA

View Full Version : Where To Go / Stay Away From for Car Repair

JOFTAA
December 17th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I wanted to share an email that I just sent off to Mattusch Automobile in Kaiserslautern, as well as to Volvo Customer Relations.

In case you don't want to read this entire post, here is the quick version:

Mattusch Automobile insists that if you do not take your Volvo to them for scheduled maintenance, that they, nor Volvo, will not honor your vehicle warranty. This is a scam on their part to get you to spend a lot of money for things such as an oil and filter change that can be done at Auto Skills for under $50. I called Volvo North America, and they told me that it states in my user manual that I may maintain my vehicle anywhere, as long as I keep my receipts. I verified this, and it is true. Aside from that scam, Mattusch told me that I needed to replace my car's brake booster, which is a very expensive repair. Mattusch was lying, and the amusing story of this can be read next if you'd like.

December 17, 2010

To: Volvo Global Customer Relations
Cc: Mr. Markus Mattusch and Melissa Warf of Mattusch Automobile GmbH;
and Martin Lawrence of Autozentrum 2000 GmbH (http://www.partner.volvocars.de/autozentrum2000/)

Subject: Poor Service of Mattusch Automobile GmbH

I want to introduce you to my new pet which was adopted yesterday while I was at Autozentrum 2000 (http://www.partner.volvocars.de/autozentrum2000/) having my car repaired. I don't quite know if it is a male or female, so for the purpose of this email, I will refer to my new pet as an 'it.'

I have named my new pet "Martin."

Let me tell you how I came to adopt this adorable pet from the species known to humans as "rock" and how it got the name Martin. One day, about a month ago, I started hearing a "thunk" sound coming from my car. It was not normal to hear this thunk, so I called a local Volvo dealership in Kaiserslautern known as Mattusch Automobile GmbH. I spoke to Melissa Warf. Melissa setup an appointment for me to have the thunk diagnosed. The dealership kept my car for an entire day. I dropped off the car the night before and left my car key in their night drop off box. After waiting all day Monday, I was emailed at 3:34pm to be informed that I had less than one hour to get my car, or I would have to wait until the following day. Also, Melissa was very adamant that if I did not get my vehicle scheduled maintenance done at Mattusch Automobile GmbH, that my car warranty would not be honored. I questioned this practice, and called Volvo North America, the company from which I purchased my car, to find out if what Melissa told me is true. I was told by Volvo North America that I could maintain my vehicle anywhere I wanted to as long as I kept my receipts. Melissa repeatedly told me that this was not correct information. Volvo North America told me that if Mattusch Automobile GmbH did not wish to honor my warranty, that they would reimburse me for repairs. It appears to me, as a Volvo customer, that Mattusch Automobile GmbH is using strong arm tactics to force people into paying high prices at their dealership for services that can be done elsewhere for a fraction of the cost, by threatening people with a warranty problem. This type of tactic is not appreciated, and I refused to have my car maintenance done at Mattusch Automobile GmbH.

After waiting all day for my car to be repaired, I got the following email from Melissa:

from Melissa Warf <xxxxxxx@autohaus-mattusch.de>
to JOFTAA
date Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 3:34 PM
subject : Oil Change Invoice

Thanks for all the information.

You can come and pick up your car now. We attached the plastic part and heard the noise, it comes from the break booster but itīs just annoying. And especially because you have warranty we can not replace just because of the noise. You have to wait until it getīs worse. Because we always have to send back the old parts, and Iīm afraid the will not give us the money for the part or the work “just” because of the noise, because that doesnīt mean that itīs defect.

Latest for pick up is 16.30pm or tomorrow starting at 7.45am. Thank You.

kind regards

Melissa Warf

At other Volvo dealerships I have worked with, I have never been rushed to pickup my car after a repair. I am not sure if it is normal business practice for Mattusch Automobile GmbH to give people 56 minutes notice to pickup their car from repair, otherwise having to wait until the following day, but I would like to suggest that they give people some extra time. Anyway, I digress. Let me get back to "Martin The Rock." I was told that it would take a day to get the part to repair my car, but, since Mattusch Automobile GmbH refused to repair my car for what was deemed "an annoyance," my car was returned to me without being repaired, and still making the 'thunk' sound. I was not happy that Mattusch Automobile GmbH kept my car all day and would not repair it. I sent an email to Volvo Global Customer Relations about this issue as follows:

To Whom it Concerns:

I have a 2008 Volvo S-80. The car was purchased in The U.S., but is presently in Germany while I am here with my family who is working with The U.S. Government. I require some warranty work to be performed on my vehicle, so I took my car to Mattusch Automobile for repair.

I was speaking with Melissa Warf at the dealership. Although my warranty service is not engine related, I am being told that unless I have my car maintenance done at the dealership, they do not have to cover my repair under the warranty.

I have receipts and can prove that my maintenance is being done on schedule. My warranty book that came with my car says that I am not required to perform maintenance at a Volvo dealership.

Although Melissa has been very polite, I do not feel that it is the right thing to force me to get my maintenance done at the dealership.

My car is currently at Mattusch Automobile. I would like to pickup my car tomorrow without having to pay the fee since I have warranty coverage.

Please contact me as soon as possible as I need to speak to you before I can pickup my car. I can be reached at either +49 (0)###-###### or +49 (0)####-######.

Thank you for your immediate assistance.

Sincerely,
JOFTAA
VIN ###########

I suppose that Volvo customer service got involved because several days after sending this email, I received a call from Mattusch Automobile GmbH telling me that the part would be ordered. I was told that once the part was received, I would be called to setup an appointment. I was finally called today, over a week later, to be informed that my part had arrived. I was told that I could have an appointment for next week. Considering that my car was already at Mattusch Automobile GmbH for a full day, and considering that Mattusch Automobile GmbH would not repair my car the first time, I really felt that having to wait for another week to have my car repaired was a poor way to do business. What Mattusch Automobile GmbH should have done, in order to provide good customer service, is call to tell me that my part arrived and that they would install it immediately at my convenience since I already had to wait once before.

After speaking to Melissa, I started wondering if another dealership would give me better service. I am not happy with Mattusch Automobile GmbH customer service, and do not feel comfortable having them work on my car.

That is when I decided to call Autozentrum 2000 GmbH. I spoke with a mechanic by the name of Martin Lawrence. Martin told me to bring him my car at any time and he would check out the noise for me. I went yesterday morning at 11:30. Less than 30 minutes later, Martin brought me the rock pictured above. The thunk noise was from that rock. Somehow, the rock was resting underneath the car on a metal beam. When the car changed speed, the rock would roll and hit the side of the metal beam and make the 'thunk' sound. Martin, the mechanic at Autozentrum 2000 GmbH, figured out the problem quickly, and had me back on the road again without delay. I was not even asked for payment. Martin was even kind enough to let me keep the rock. I decided that since Martin the mechanic was so nice, that I would name my new rock, Martin, after the mechanic who found it. I find it amazing that Mattusch Automobile GmbH not only had my car for a full day, but was prepared to do an expensive repair to my car for what turned out to be nothing more than a rock. I have to question if Mattusch Automobile GmbH ever even looked at my car? How could a competent mechanic have a car for a full day, diagnose a defective brake booster, and order the part, when the real problem was just a rock? I think the mechanic at Mattusch Automobile GmbH needs to go back to mechanic school. By the way, now that the rock is comfortably resting somewhere other than under my car, the 'thunk' noise has ceased completely.

That is how I have come to adopt my new pet rock by the name of Martin. From now on Autozentrum 2000 GmbH will be taking care of my Volvo. They are honest, reliable, fast, and competent.

Thank you for your time. I need to give Martin the Rock a bath now to remove the grease.

Sincerely,

JOFTAA,
Foster care giver to Martin the Rock

catman
December 19th, 2010, 10:25 PM
You're kidding about the mechanics name, right? Martin Lawrence? I thought he was a comedian and movie star. Thus the pun about kidding me.
Please don't get me started about dealerships and repair......

Awhitish
December 29th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the info, I have a T5 S40 and was looking for a good place to take her.

JOFTAA
December 30th, 2010, 09:39 AM
You're kidding about the mechanics name, right? Martin Lawrence? I thought he was a comedian and movie star. Thus the pun about kidding me.
Please don't get me started about dealerships and repair......

Not kidding. Part of the reason I found the name so great to use for the rock.

Thanks for the info, I have a T5 S40 and was looking for a good place to take her.

Glad I could save you the trouble.

CajunDawn
December 30th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I had a 2010 Volvo T5 S40 and had to have service at K Town Mattusch Volvo...they stunk! I had a headlight with a leak in it that was covered under the warranty and it took no less than 5 trips and countless time away from work to get it corrected. They simply wouldn't replace it as they explained it was too expensive to do so. After 4 trips there and no resolution I DEMANDED they replace the darned thing. An oil change took 2 days...they are terrible. I actually became so disgusted with them that I sold the Volvo and bought a 2010 BMW. Extreme I know but after learning that Volvo had been sold to a Chinese company named Ghia I saw the writing on the wall and decided to part ways with it. My other friends owning Volvos have resorted to going all the way to Homburg from the KMC area after similar problems with the K Town dealership and I suggest you all do too.

Dawn:annoyed:

JOFTAA
December 30th, 2010, 12:00 PM
The place in Homburg is where I took my car. It really is not all that far. Only 25 minutes driving time from Vogelweh.

Well worth the trip!

JOFTAA
May 19th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Today I went back to Autozentrum 2000 GmbH to have some warranty work done on my car.

The three things I needed done are:

Replace the radio antenna because it is stuck on the car and won't come off
Fix a rattle in the door
Check the discoloration on the steering wheel

Autozentrum ordered an antenna and door clips and those problems will be taken care of once the parts arrive.

What makes me laugh, and the reason for this post is the steering wheel. I posted about having my car detailed (http://www.everythingkmc.com/showthread.php?t=13796) for $140. These guys did a great job on my car, but the steering wheel looked super dirty. They told me it was not dirt, but rather was discoloration of the leather and to take it to Volvo for replacement.

When I left Autozentrum, my steering wheel looked brand new. I thought that it had been replaced. Martin (the mechanic) told me that he used leather cleaner on it and that is all it took.

This kind of thing just makes me laugh because the guys that detailed my car somehow could not manage to get the steering wheel clean.

I suppose I have to remember to always get a second opinion. Martin could have sold me a new steering wheel claiming normal wear and tear, but was honest enough to clean it. And, even though this is not something that would normally be covered by warranty, there was no charge.

Chalk up another one for Autozentrum! If you have a Volvo, I am highly recommending Autozentrum over Mattusch.

SNB92
June 18th, 2011, 09:11 PM
I am so glad you posted about this. We picked our Volvo up this week from the VPC and it is not running right. We called and made an appointment with Autozentrum because of this thread. Thank you!

JOFTAA
June 18th, 2011, 09:14 PM
I am so glad you posted about this. We picked our Volvo up this week from the VPC and it is not running right. We called and made an appointment with Autozentrum because of this thread. Thank you!

You are very welcome. Make sure you speak to Martin, and tell him I sent you. I will be seeing him on Monday. He's fixing a few things for me. He's really good and speaks enough English to get along. By the way, just in case you were wondering, the grease never did wash off from the rock.

kermit
June 20th, 2011, 09:33 PM
That was comforting to read and know about the pet rock.

I thought you were going to tell us about his "Dog Spot" an old adverstisting car dealer from southern california back in the 60's.
Cal Worthington. Anyone remember those commercials?

JOFTAA
June 20th, 2011, 09:51 PM
That was comforting to read and know about the pet rock.

I thought you were going to tell us about his "Dog Spot" an old adverstisting car dealer from southern california back in the 60's.
Cal Worthington. Anyone remember those commercials?

I do remember those commercials. I lived in Southern California in the late 60's and early 70's. At least the name rings a bell.

I was at the Volvo shop today getting my car fixed. They managed to repair the car in under and hour. The problem was a rattle in my driver door. This is the problem that Mattusch told me was caused by a penny in the door tray compartment. Once again, Mattusch was wrong. It was a broken door clip. Oh, before I give the wrong impression, I did not go back to Mattusch. This was something that they diagnosed at the same time they told me I had to replace my brake booster.

Mattusch is really incompetent as far as I am concerned.

Jessica85
August 24th, 2011, 09:38 PM
I wished I read this post before I took my car to Mattusch Automobile... This is what happenend to me:

We took our 2005 Chrysler Pacifica there and got our spare key programmed. We just got a new one since we only had one key for it. That was all we wanted.
It took them three weeks!!! until it was finally done even though they are supposed to be a chrysler jeep and dogde work shop. Then after it was done, they said we had an engine damage! Its all loud a metal is hitting metal. They said they filled up almost a gallon of oil, like they were trying to tell us we drove without oil. My husband filled it with oil end of June and it was hardly driven afterwards and also had no oil leak! After I asked why the oil light and check engine light never lit up, I was told they hardly would before its actually too late. The lights are both working! The engine makes loud noises and we probably need a new one, estimate cost 2000-3000 EUR! Before we took it there it was perfectly fine. This is just unbelievable. We now found another work shop for chrysler in Kaiserslautern and my husband is taking the car there tomorrow. I was told its hard to prove that Mattusch Automobile did something to it. So I guess there is nothing we can do, if the engine is really that damaged and we need a new one :-( Sad thing is we bought the car in May and it passed inspection.

JOFTAA
August 24th, 2011, 09:55 PM
I would not doubt that they did something on purpose, but that is difficult to prove. You might want to take your car to Pulaski Auto Skills and speak to Alan. He is really good, and very honest. He'll tell you what is going on. It might be something very easy to fix. Dealerships, for the most part, are the worst place to take a car because their bread and butter is with repair fees. It can't hurt to ask Alan. His number is 06313-4064167. Good luck.

Jessica85
August 25th, 2011, 09:59 AM
I would not doubt that they did something on purpose, but that is difficult to prove. You might want to take your car to Pulaski Auto Skills and speak to Alan. He is really good, and very honest. He'll tell you what is going on. It might be something very easy to fix. Dealerships, for the most part, are the worst place to take a car because their bread and butter is with repair fees. It can't hurt to ask Alan. His number is 06313-4064167. Good luck.

Thank you I told my husband to call him. Is Alan also able to repair an engine, if it is really broken? I am still hoping that they were just saying that to get more money out of it. I mean I cannot believe it! We bought it in May it passed inspection, my husband checked the oil and filled it up end of June, it had no oil leak, the oil and check engine light never lit up and still, Mattusch Automobile is trying to tell us there were 2/3 of oil missing almost a gallon... I mean if the sensor to the lights was broken and it would burn way too much oil I would maybe understand... thats the only thing I can think of other than they broke it. We will see what Alan says, maybe he also knows about Mattusch Automobile...

I also received an email with another problem:

I am sure by the experience you and I had your mailbox is about full right now, I would think, because I know there has to be several people like us out there. I have a Chrysler Minivan that just turned 1 year old. It has been in there shop 6 times in the first 3 months. It took them forever to find out the problems the car had, in the meanwhile everytime the car was in the shop I never got a loaner car or any kind of customer service. Rather than that everytime I went there the owner Mr. Mattusch told me your car has to much eletronics, therefore you have all these problems. I had a few more times with them until I finally decided to switch, there is actually another dealer in KL. Not many people know about this one. TG Automobile. Last a friend of mine also had her car at Mattusch 2 years old, also under warranty with engine problems it was in the shop over 1 week no loaner vehicle. And I know with me having the extended warranty I should have received one. I think they have horrible customer service and wish we could do something about it.

It seems like they have no idea about cars and sadly they call themselves a Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge dealership... I will keep you updated.

Joe
December 2nd, 2011, 09:46 AM
Mattusch is an idiot. I took my wife's convertible to him to get an estimate regarding the (ongoing) roof repairs done by the shipping company. Rather than provide an honest appraisal of just the roof, Mr. Mattusch rather bluntly told me, "this car is shit." I got my estimate, and won't be going back.

SNB92
December 2nd, 2011, 02:36 PM
I am very happy with the service I get with Autozentrum 2000 GmbH. We have taken our 2009 Volvo S80 to them a few times since arriving in June and they have always done a great job! I have had a lot of problems with this car and all the work has been under warranty and they have had no problems fixing anything that has come up with the car. They helped me make a formal complaint to Volvo about all the problems this car has had and shouldn't have because it is not that old and only has 17,000 miles on it. Volvo ended up extending the warranty on the car for us an extra year. We moved to Winnweiler and I do not mind driving to Homburg to get the work done. It is well worth the drive!

Beth
March 25th, 2012, 10:33 PM
can Autozentrum fix hondas too?

JOFTAA
March 26th, 2012, 06:49 AM
can Autozentrum fix hondas too?

Good question. I'd suggest checking their website to see if they have other shops. The link for the site is in the original post.

Beth
March 26th, 2012, 08:27 AM
from what I can tell from reading the website, it doesn't look like it. Do you know of a place for Honda service? It is under warranty here in the states, but I am guessing I am going to have to ask the honda dealer here how that is going to work when we move.

JOFTAA
March 26th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Most cars that are under warranty stateside, are warranted here, as well.

There is at least one Honda service center here in Kaiserslautern, so don't worry about warranty work. You'll be fine.

https://www.google.com/search?q=honda+kaiserslautern

mdellegood
July 21st, 2012, 09:41 AM
Could you recommend a VW service station.

JOFTAA
July 21st, 2012, 07:52 PM
Roth Autohaus does VW. I took my wife's Jetta there, many, many times. Frank does excellent work. Just do a search for FRANK ROTH in the search field at the upper right of the page.

Hans
July 21st, 2012, 09:11 PM
I second Autohaus Roth. He's a Skoda dealer/repair garage. A Skoda is essentially a less expensive VW.

mdellegood
July 21st, 2012, 10:16 PM
Thank you for the information.

JOFTAA
July 22nd, 2012, 11:26 PM
I second Autohaus Roth. He's a Skoda dealer/repair garage. A Skoda is essentially a less expensive VW.

Of course you concur. You introduced me to Frank. I am very happy that you did. Just in case I did not say it before, thank you for introducing me to Frank.

diwil
July 23rd, 2012, 03:35 PM
for honda, Ecker at hausptstuhl got an OK reputation, as far as i know.
as well you can see some intepentent garages, like:
JSautoservice Kaiserslautern Tel. 0631 3 40 89 19
www.jsautoservice.de

NP autocentre Kaiserslautern
Tel. 0631 310 764 0
www.np-autocenter.de

or to frank roth - recommanded here before......

AFbrat130
October 26th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I took my Dodge Journey to Autozentrum 2000 (Autozentrum Schwindt in Homburg) for repairs based off of your glowing reviews and a corraborating review from another person on Facebook. We're waiting for parts. Now I am looking for a good place to service a Ford Mustang. My husband likes to keep up with the general maintenance, but right now he wants me to get it in for an oil change and tire switch to winter tires. Any recommendations? Thanks! :)

JOFTAA
October 26th, 2012, 01:11 PM
For something as simple as an oil change and tire swap, the Pulaski Auto Skills is great.

kmc second timer
October 26th, 2012, 01:24 PM
I took my Dodge Journey to Autozentrum 2000 (Autozentrum Schwindt in Homburg) for repairs based off of your glowing reviews and a corraborating review from another person on Facebook. We're waiting for parts. Now I am looking for a good place to service a Ford Mustang. My husband likes to keep up with the general maintenance, but right now he wants me to get it in for an oil change and tire switch to winter tires. Any recommendations? Thanks! :)

We use ATU at Pariser Str. 196 in Kaiserslautern for routine maintenance, a company very comparable to Firestone in the states. We also bought our snow tires there and it was a good experience: the manager (Christel) speaks english and they accept VAT forms. In addition, ATU has always given us an estimate and waited for our permission before doing anything above and beyond what we came in for, something that is not always customary practice here.

caverject
March 6th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Any suggestions for those of us that have BMW's? I have a 5 series and today at my annual inspection, I found out I was leaking transmission oil...need to get it fixed in 30 days or less!

JOFTAA
March 6th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Any suggestions for those of us that have BMW's? I have a 5 series and today at my annual inspection, I found out I was leaking transmission oil...need to get it fixed in 30 days or less!

Frank works on everything. He's great.

cmn08
March 7th, 2013, 06:08 PM
My husband likes to take our vehicles here. He works on our vehicles when he is able, but says he has been satisfied with the service from NP. My husband did not write this article, just a review with info I found in a search. Hope this helps!

http://www.rpc3.org/link/npautocenter

caverject
March 18th, 2013, 11:32 PM
Frank works on everything. He's great.

Is this the same guy your talking about? http://www.autohaus-roth.de/

I got two weeks left on my registration! whoops!

JOFTAA
March 18th, 2013, 11:51 PM
Is this the same guy your talking about? http://www.autohaus-roth.de/

I got two weeks left on my registration! whoops!

Nope. Not the same place.

This is it:
Pariser Straße 342
67663 Kaiserslautern, Germany
0631 36333-0

Tell Frank that Sam from EverythingKMC says hello, please.